Thursday, June 13, 2013

Grooming ~ to shave or not

The great debate, to shave or not.  Many with long haired dogs are faced with this dilemma when the temperatures rise.
What we have experienced.
Over the almost 13 years that I have had Maid Morgain every summer I ponder, as I love her long coat.  Personally I have always felt if there coat is long by nature then leave it be.  And for every time I have taken her to the groomers and ask for a "show" cut the variety has varied to what they thought show meant.  Granted maybe I was using the wrong term but I have been noted to show a picture of what I was talking about.  Some have replied "do you show her?" my answer is always nope but that is what I would like.
When Lady Shannon was with us it wasn't as much of an issue as her coat never really grew long.  She was the perpetual puppy.

Things to concerned when concerning what "cut" is right for your pet, family & household.

~ what coat does your dog have? Here is a simple diagram to explain how a double coat works
imgur: the simple image sharer
~ does your pooch have light coloured fur?
~ do you want to keep the look of the breed?
~ will you really do the grooming(daily brushing) to have there coat looking great?
~ does your pooch have allergies?
~ do the humans have allergies?
   *I have personally lived with animal allergies all my life and yes we have 2 long haired dogs.  With     being around ours my body has become used to M&M.
~ do you need to check there skin often?
~ is your pooch wet allot?
* Some long haired dogs can get hot spots which can be painful and hard to heal.
~ do you want to pull out the blow drier when there coat wont dry?
~ would you think its odd to have a towel ready to dry your pooch off before they enter the house?
~ do you like the smell of wet dog?
~ do you get offended when your dog is called another breed due to the short cut?
    example, springer's can look similar to a pointer if shaved.

I could keep going with the questions but at this point you have made up your mind.
What from I know now about grooming of Springers,  Mackay won't be shaved at all.  No clippers for him.  As Morgs had the most beautiful coat then she had a few cuts and her coat changed.  So now from time to time she looks like curly locks or a polar bear lol.
So stop and think hard before those clippers are pulled out.  Talk to groomers & your vet and see what they say.
Have a great day!
~ Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment